The effects of COVID-19 around the world and global well being.
Why does extreme poverty around the world here in the US? and What can we do about it?
Global Poverty: Why we’re at a critical turning point.
What do we mean by “extreme poverty”?
Those in extreme poverty live on less than $1.90 per day. The US Federal poverty live is about $15 per day. The average American spends $165.55 per day.
We spend a lot of money on global poverty for a long time with which seems like little progress, which is wrong. Since the world bank stated collecting data in 1981. In 1981, 42.7% lived in extreme poverty and in 2015, 9.9% lived in extreme poverty. What we do on global poverty matters. We are making progress.
COVID-19 is a huge threat on global poverty. When COVID-19 shut down economies, it was the poor and extreme poor that it effected the most.
We have a stake at what is going on around the world, and we also have the power to act on that stake and to become participants to help people around the world.
The Borgen Project is an advocacy organization focused on making poverty reduction a focus of US Foreign Policy.
Global health and global poverty as intimatly connected at this moment.
There is a need for national governments to act because they are the only kinds of institutions that can give the support to the ACT Accelerator which is the mechanism for developing more vaccines and the distribution of those vaccines.
The Gates Foundation estimates the ROI on COVID 446%.
The Borgen Project is advocating for:
- Supplemental to the International Affairs Budget to Fight COVID-19
- Funding for direct global health responses and knock-on effects
- Global Health Secirity Act
- Strengthens US commitments to and coordination for responses to emerging global health threats
Foreign Affairs compromises about 1% of our Federal annual budget.
Anyone can be an advocate!
- It takes 30 seconds to email Congress
- Call guide: https://borgenproject.org/call-congress/
- Take one minute to call (after offices close, leave a message)
- Encourage others, and do their work for them
- Write letters to your representatives
- Letter guide: https://borgenproject.org/how-to-write-congress/
- Work with the Borgen Project https://borgenproject.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Meet with your representatives
To learn more about the Borgen Project go to https://borgenproject.org